Saturday, July 28, 2012

27 July 2012 - Sharks and Zoops


Hello from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean!! Today is day three of the cruise and so far it has been a blast, a ton of work of course but very exciting and fun at the same time. So far we have calibrated all the equipment, dropped a couple nets out, and sorted the contents of the net tows. We have come across numerous types of organisms; the first net tow gave us many medusa, jellies, and ctenophores along with a couple fish, some copepods and a krill or two. However, the net tow that came up yesterday provided us with many different organisms that were very foreign to me, we found some ctenophores, baby crabs, amphipods (some monster amphipods tossed in there), chaetognaths (which terrify me.. if you do not know what they are please google them… then cry about it), some large krill, a bunch of medium and small krill, more fish, about a dozen little squid and a baby octopus! Needless to say it was a pretty exciting catch for me haha. 
Product of the second net tow.
Now on to the most exciting part of the trip for me… WE SAW A BLUE SHARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Blue shark sighted 3 meters off the bow of the boat! VERY EXCITING

Ah one of my all-time favourite sharks! I had previously told one of the other scientists how badly I wanted to see whales/sharks/birds out on the water and he came rushing down early yesterday afternoon and told me to follow him to the bow of the boat, so I did and there off the bow was a 6 foot(ish) blue shark! Not even 3 meters away from the boat! Then we saw a few more further out either fighting or something who knows. But it was amazing. Well that’s all for now! Talk to you guys again soon (:

Stephanie Mincieli (AKA Blondie)

No comments:

Post a Comment