Tuesday, July 31, 2012

30 July 2012 - Meet Frank!


Hello!

Unfortunately we still haven't caught any Pacific Hake or Humboldt Squid, but we have caught many of other neat organisms in our net tows. Most of our net tows have consisted of krill, shrimp, amphipods, chaetognaths, and larval fish.

A huge amphipod we found in our net. Most of the amphipods I have seen are about the size of a grain of rice, so you can imagine my surprise when we found one this big!
It has been really great to see the great variety of the zooplankton out here, but a couple nights ago, we were caught by surprise when we found that there was a large eel-like animal in our net! Once we were able to get it into a tub we could see that it wasn't an eel at all. It was, in fact, a Lamprey! For those of you that don't know, lampreys are parasitic animals that attach to other fish and suck their blood. Even though I knew this, I thought the one we caught was kinda cute (in an ugly kind of way).I soon named him Frank, Why Frank you ask? Well, because he looked like a Frank of course!

See! He is kinda cute!!

Joe successfully transferring Frank into a bucket. Look at Frank's ring of teeth! Awesome!

Soon the name caught on, and I started the release Frank campaign. Joe took some convincing because he thought he would look pretty cool in a jar in his office, but soon the decision was made that we should let him go! I was very relieved, and I readily volunteered to release him. I am happy to report that Frank is now happily swimming in the ocean again!

 I was so happy to release him back to the ocean! Nice to meet you Frank!

Well, I better go back to work!

-Kaylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment