Tuesday, November 15, 2011

15 November - Haikus


Everything continues to go well down here – even the weather has begun to clear up!  We did a station last night and another this morning – all in winds less than 25 knots which is quite a change from a few days ago.   We have been discussing haikus during meals and I decided a fun blog entry would be to collect a big batch of haikus from the ship’s company and share them with you!  As you will read, there are a few common themes – rough weather, the lack of salps (although since these were written we have found a few!!), and guitar hero, our favorite way to pass the time.

Enjoy!


Crabeater Seals glare
As the LMG plows through
Slumber disturbed
-Chelsea Stanley

The waves are crashing
I am rolling in my bed
Please, please let me sleep!
- Patty O'Malley

Station number twelve
Will you bring in the jackpot?
Getting tossed around
--Anonymous

Echoes
 A loud ping goes out.
 A whisper echo returns.
 From deep-sea creatures.
-Peter Wiebe

Seabirds all around
Aggregating near the ship
Painted petrels fly
- Patty O'Malley

On the LMG
Melissas are a plenty
Who wants a name change?
-Melissa Paddock

Chocolate chip cookies
Are my favorite food at sea
Nom nom nom nom nom
-Katie

The seas are rough out
I saw my breakfast again
Oatmeal looks the same
-Anonymous

Standby for Weather
Antarctic Salps Hide From Us
Maybe Tomorrow
-Krista Tyburksi

Are salps elusive?
We will prove John Evans wrong
And catch these buggers.
-Ann Bucklin

Titration Drip Drip
In A Freezer Van On Deck
Cold Toes But Data
-Anonymous

One big leopard seal
Lies motionless on ice raft
One big yawn - he's tired
- Patty O'Malley

I K M T Away
Sweeping Through Chilly Water
Brings Gifts Of The Sea
-Anonymous

The krill are dancing
Bright pink and red with green guts
Unaware their fate
- Patty O'Malley

Crew Roster: Meliss
a Melissa Melissa
Three Is Too Many
-Anonymous

Where art though my salp ?
Rival of E. superba
Muscled band of goo.
-Anonymous

Elusive Animals
 MOCNESS after salps.
 But none caught in tows so far.
 Salps wherein art thou?
-Peter Wiebe

I slurped a small salp
Oh! It made me dance about
Salty sea creature
-Anonymous

Snowflakes falling
Blanketing Palmer Station
The Leopard Seal Yawns
-Chelsea Stanley

Slippery wet decks
Good thing I wear my hardhat
True Antarctica!
-Anonymous

Slippery, Secret
Salps.  Oh where are you hiding out?
Please.  Come out.  Come out.
-Kelley Watson

 No one can find me
 An MST in hiding
 I need Ethanol
-Melissa Paddock

Moisturizing cream
O how I wish I had some
Moisturizing cream
-Anonymous

Antarctic Spring
 Winds roar and seas build.
 Petrels soaring effortlessly.
 Skim mountainous waves.
-Peter Wiebe

A cruise of Science
Sitting in the swelling seas
Rock Band anyone?
-Melissa Paddock

Sitting At Station Twelve
Gould Teeters As Waves Pass By
Waiting For Science
-Anonymous

MOCNESS is a beast
Swallowing planktonic prey
Euphausiids beware!
-Chelsea Stanley

Wacky instruments
on LMG make ETs
burn many fuses
-Kris Merril

It's blowing 60
And those waves ain't so pretty
Silly Drake station
-Anonymous

Dear Guitar Hero
Helping ease the weather woes
We love to whammy
-Chelsea Stanley


Hope you liked them!  Have a wonderful day!

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment