Saturday, November 19, 2011

19 November - Snackz on the LMG

[Ed: The project PI neither condones or condemns the alternative spellings for snacks presented here in...]

Yesterday we had another day of unfortunate weather.  The winds were sustained 35 – 40 knots with gusts up to 50 – too windy to do science! So, instead of writing about science, I will write about my second favorite thing about the LMG – snacks!

There are myriad of snacks available.  Chocolate Chip Cookies (see my blog post from earlier this trip) will remain a favorite, but I have needed to expand my snack variety in fear of becoming bored of CCCs. Luckily there are plenty of options.

Espresso Machine!

 We are all big fans of the espresso machine!  What better way to make it through a 12 hour shift than caffeine??  The chunk of chocolate next to the machine is especially useful when making my personal favorite, mochas

Cereal!

 There are many different types of cereal on board.  Trix, granola, frosted mini-wheats, multi-grain cheerios – and my personal favorite, Lucky Charms!!  I find the sugar to be a great addition to the caffeine.  Here are Chelsea and I with our daily dose of luck

Cake!  -  The galley has produced some wonderful cakes!

 This cake was for two crew members birthdays.  Those are kiwi slices on the outside!  The inside was chocolate cake! Yum! We also get cakes for no occasion in particular, one was vanilla cake with dulce de leche filling!  Nom nom!


Candy!
  It is the Chief Scientist’s job to keep us sugared up all day and Ann is doing a great job!  Here is a our “Cookie Jar” which currently is stocked with snickers, chocolate cookies, delicious butterscotch candies, and more.



Snack Wall!

The “snack wall” is located in the galley and is always well stocked with snacks!  There are Pringles (original and queso), hard candies, ramen, cookies, nuts, dried fruit, crackers,  and more!






Condiments
  Something I’ve noticed about ships is that there is always many different hot sauce options available.  The LMG is no different.  There are at least six different types of hot sauce on board.  My favorite is Moore’s Buffalo Sauce
Mid-Rats!



My shift runs from noon-midnight, which means I occasionally eat Mid-Rats, the meal that is from 23:30 to 00:30.  Mid-rats offers a variety of breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods, to accommodate people working irregular shifts.  I enjoy it immensely – who doesn’t like eggs and bacon before heading off to sleep?

I hope you all have enjoyed my snack tour of the LMG.  The weather has finally started to calm down; a high pressure system is passing through the area.  Time for science (and working off all of the snacks!).

-Katie

4 comments: